About Sierra Trail RunsFrom introductory tours on gentle trails to full-on backcountry adventures up on the highest peaks, this photo guidebook has runs for everyone. Whether you're looking to go bigger and higher, or just discover a new part of the mountains, there are options here to keep you running year round. This guide contains full details on 36 carefully chosen trail runs, some of the best anywhere, including excursions into the White Mountains and Death Valley. With big, beautiful images for inspiration, you'll find all of the info you need for years of adventure in California's High Sierra.
- Big, ambitious runs plus a few mellow ones
- Run some 14'ers!
- Elevation profiles and difficulty ratings
- Access to online GPX tracks (password protected)
- The Sierra is laced with trails -- this books hones in on the best
- Bonus: select runs in the White Mountains and Death Valley
- Inspiring images by some of the best trail-running photographers in the business
- Original art by Bishop local Ann Piersall Logan
- Guest essays by Paiute educator Kris Hohag and other local voices
- Every book purchase supports Friends of the Inyo!
About the authorsDan Patitucci is a professional mountain-sport photographer and athlete with more than 30 years experience running and climbing in the Sierra. Dan’s photography work has taken him running and climbing in mountain ranges all over the world, from the Himalaya to Iceland to Patagonia, and all throughout Europe. He still calls the Sierra “home.” Originally from Switzerland, Janine Patitucci is a professional mountain-sport photographer and digital-imaging specialist at PatitucciPhoto. As a lover of maps and geography, Janine masterminded many of the runs in this guidebook, as well as the runs in the team’s Swiss Alps guidebook, Run the Alps Switzerland, and the Alps’ Via Valais multi-day trail-running tour. From climbing 8000-meter peaks and Patagonian spires to working as a rock and alpine guide in the Sierra, Hjördis Rickert has a broad, lifelong mountain background. A Bishop local, she’s traveled and photographed in mountain ranges all over the world, and has recently discovered the freedom of running through her home range. Kim Strom is a mountain runner and cancer survivor. Since 2016, she has worked with PatitucciPhoto as a writer, photographer, and athlete. She co-founded both Elevation: The Alps Trail & Peak Running Resource and the Via Valais, and co-authored the Run the Alps Switzerland guidebook. Her feature stories have appeared in Patagonia’s The Cleanest Line, Runner’s World, and Trail Runner, as well as numerous outdoor blogs and other publications.
The author team website offers much more, including a sign-up for emailed updates, GPX tracks, a sample gallery of their beautiful photography, recommendations and FAQ's, plus more.
Sierra Trail Runs: A Guide to the Eastside
2022 Wolverine Publishing
By Dan Patitucci, Janine Patitucci, Hjördis Rickert, and Kim Strom
304 pages in full color
More on California's Sierra Nevada!
- Road Biking California's Sierra Nevada offers some great touring ideas.
- For a host of excellent ski tours and mountain action photography, look to Nate Greenberg and Dan Mingori's Backcountry Skiing California's Eastern Sierra 3rd Edition.
- For a gorgeous photo and essay tour: Inside the High Sierra by Claude Fiddler.
- Peter Croft's favorite rock climbs in the High Sierra are found in The Good, the Great, and the Awesome.